- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
The only thing I would care is to use other words for the same response because I’m starting to sound like a robot.
I hate our culture of “positivity”.
Even before I got depressed, people told me I was a downer because I would bring up current events etc in conversation or challenge something someone said by pointing out real facts.
There seems to be this culture of ” happy thoughts” and not thinking about real issues. Especially among younger people.
I’m finally getting to know some people who aren’t like this.
But in general, happy culture seems pretty oppressive in as far as it encourages people to gloss over actual problems.
What ARE you supposed to say when you feel like shit and someone asks you how are you?
Nicholas Dennison says
This one’s the worst at work. You literally cannot avoid the “Hey, how are you?”, and because I’m supposed to “leave anything [I’m] struggling with at the door” so as not to be a downer to everyone else, my only option is to plaster on the fake smile (eye-crinkling and all, because I actually researched, studied, and practiced how to fake happiness), no matter how much I want to just be honest for once. People don’t want honesty, they want normality.
69 http://t.co/sUFWi7TfbT via @depressioncomix
Got used to saying “Fine, same as always.” became a habit response..
Damian Greer says
You’re not the only one in that regard. It becomes autonomous for most people, Including me.
My default has just become “Meh.” Sometimes with a shrug.
It’s vague enough and people don’t quite know how to respond to it, so they drop it and move on.
Alastair M says
“Not too bad”
Emphasis on the “too”
My default response is just “tired”
Monox D. I-Fly says
My default answer is “Thank God I am still alive”.