A while back I had complained about the software I was using for the depression comix site and I needed to change it. Well, I’m happy to report I did change it, and now I’m using the Genesis framework and a modified starter theme. I knew I had to make the move at some point and I’m glad I did. By just using the Genesis theme I could unload a number of plugins I was using and now the site is sleeker and faster than it was before. It also forced me to learn CSS so I could make the site exactly as I imagined it.
One of the things I’ve tried for is minimalism. I got rid of as much unnecessary wording as possible, and removed all sidebars so that the focus is truly on the comic. There are no ads, no unnecessary links. There are so many webcomics out there where the comic is in the middle of a jumble of ads, animated gifs, blogs, link lists… all the things that in the 90s with limited display size aren’t that distracting but with the display sizes of today it looks like a mess.
I also removed all color from the text and thumbnails so that the site is starkly monochrome. Color is not easily found in the site, and it’s on purpose.
I’ll be continually making improvements to the site, so it’s not over yet. But I hope the improvements are for the better.